MATCH REPORT: Barnsley -v- Wednesday

MATCH REPORT: Barnsley -v- Wednesday

Wednesday left Oakwell with their fourth consecutive league 1-1 draw. The Owls have now played 12 league games and are yet to pick up a victory.

Barnsley started the match the more lively side and Wednesday were second best to nearly every ball. However Wednesday almost took the lead when Reda Johnson crossed the ball from the left hand side and his namesake, Roger Johnson, met the ball with his head but only found the side netting.

Shortly after it was Barnsley who broke the deadlock. Olofinjana played the ball across the pitch to Reda who took too long to release the ball and was dispossessed, much to the anger of the Wednesday fans who were convinced he was fouled. Marcus Pederson dispossessed the Owls captain and ran towards the goal, his first effort hitting the post but he eventually found the back of the net with a volley to open the scoring. 1-0 to Barnsley.

The rest of the first half was frustrating for the travelling supporters who couldn’t understand why the team were playing so differently to last time out at Bolton. Just before halftime Pederson fouled Kirkland and was lucky not to be booked as he didn’t have eyes on the ball. Kirkland remained on the pitch receiving treatment as the referee blew the whistle for halftime.

Halftime score Barnsley 1-0 Wednesday

Thankfully for Wednesday Kirkland came back out of the tunnel early and spent some time warming up, he was able to continue for the second half. The second half started in much the same way as the first half had ended with Barnsley looking the team more likely to get the goal and extend their lead. Wednesday grew in confidence and should have had a penalty when Mvoto handled the ball in the box but instead only got a corner. This spurred Wednesday on and they started to create more chances.

Dave Jones decision to substitute JJ for Nuhiu was met with angry reactions from some of the crowd but it proved to be a good decision, Nuhiu putting in a good shift and unlucky not to get a goal. Olofinjana was substituted on the hour mark for Giles Coke after struggling in his first game back.

Wednesday got the equaliser on 60 minutes when Matty Fryatt hit a sweet volley past Jack Butland to make the score 1-1.

There were numerous chances for both sides to get a winner as the match went on, Nuhiu came close with a header which just went wide with Butland standing beaten. Antonio could have got the winner too but Butland pulled off a fantastic save from close range.

The match finished with Wednesday having chances to win it but Barnsley would have felt hard done by if they’d lost.
The Owls now sit bottom of the Championship.

Final Result: Barnsley 1-1 Wednesday
(In depth Post Match Ramble will appear later)
Badge Owl POST
Charlie Sharpe
Owls Alive

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *